8.10.2007

More VT!

Today has been an informative day. I went to the General Engineering information session and learned a lot, such as the general freshman classes and about co-ops and internships. During that presentation, they mentioned that the Electrical and Computer Engineering info session was a 2 o'clock, so my dad and I went to that as well. That info session was much smaller (two parents, two teens, one department person) and a bit more informal, but we got a lot of questions answered. The woman who led that info session confirmed that, yes, Virginia Tech does do study-abroad programs with the Technische Universität Darmstadt (the one I got to visit in Germany). Sweet. And she said that people wanting to intern or co-op are not limited by the internships Virginia Tech students "usually" go to. I could blaze the trail and intern at Apple if I wanted. It would be a great way to find out if I actually want to be an engineer at my favorite computer technology company. I'll explore my options—I'm not only going to research Apple.

I actually took notes this time, so I won't bore everyone out there with every little bit of info I got so I can have a future reference. I found out the reason the Engineering department requires its students to use tablet computers: While taking notes in class, typing in mathmatical formulas or examples; graphing equations; and using Greek and other symbols is a bit tricky. One would have to either go into Paint or Matlab or some other mathematical notation program, quickly input the stuff, and then try to catch up on what the teacher said. But students can write on a tablet and convert the symbols later at a more relaxed pace. Hence, fewer mistakes.

And you can turn in your homework—handwritten on the computer, if you want—online.

I got to play with a tablet in the bookstore, and for a Microsoft/Windows-computer-maker product, it's not bad. The operating system is optimized for the pen and/or the trackpad/mouse, and it can recognize handwriting, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if one could download the teaching powerpoint presentations from Blackboard and then take notes directly on them. I like that!

I hope Apple makes a tablet. Maybe in time for me to go to college.

I forgot to mention this yesterday, and it isn't long. But there was another girl wearing an insulin pump on the tour. She saw mine but didn't say anything. Our tour guide mentioned something (I think the time he passed out while giving a tour (I think he is diabetic too, but I'm not sure)), and her mom mentioned that her daughter had diabetes. I, of course, said "Hey! I do too!"

Just thought it was cool. There wasn't as much of that diabetic-to-diabetic connection as I thought there would be, but we were on a a college tour and moderately distracted.

A few random VT facts:

-A person in their fifth year at VT (such as from their co-op,from missing classes while studying abroad, or from a five-year program like architecture or BSMS (five-year Bachelor's and Master's degree program) ) is called a SuperSenior.
-It is possible to do an internship and a study-abroad trip. The presenter at the General Engineering info session said one of her friends did just that. A co-op might be tricky, but VT is all about making the most out of college (hence the amazing undergrad research opportunities).
-Apparently, VT has more undergrad research opportunities than MIT. I'm starting to think that going to VT for undergrad would be a good idea, and I could go get my Master's at an elite school later.

It's almost time for supper. I should have asked one of the presenters what restaurants are good. Oh well; we'll wing it.

Google/Blogger, please fix your spell checker on Safari. Please.

2 comments:

  1. Check out Wacom.

    http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/

    Their tablets work on Macs. I've used one before, and have been saving my money to get one for work.

    You'd need to see how it works as far as taking notes, but I know it works for designing things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of Safari, I like Firefox, but that's my personal choice.

    There's also Camino and Opera, but I still prefer Firefox.

    I've found that Safari doesn't work well for quite a few websites, and many scripts/codes/emails either. It's a bummer.

    ReplyDelete