11.03.2008

Wow, I actually did something Halloween related! And it was awesome. Thanks, D!

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I would say what I did on Saturday night.  So, here we go.

One of my best friends in high school, D, decided to go to UVA instead of Virginia Tech.  She really seems to love it there.  One thing I did not expect was that she would somehow get interested in swing dancing.  But she did.

Virginia Tech's Swing Dance club decided to hold a Halloween party the day after Halloween, and they invited the UVA Swing Dance club to come to it.  D decides to go and emails me about it.  We're both excited, but I don't dance, so we decide to hang out, and I thought I might just go sit and watch everyone dancing.

That worked for about half a song.

Anyway.  D and I meet up, and we are both ecstatic to see each other.  She and I get supper, as neither of us has eaten yet, and we sit and talk for a while, just catching up on everything that wouldn't fit in our emails.  Then we head to the dance, where she says no one will mind if I watch, or I could try dancing if I want.  She dances a bit, and I can tell she's enjoying it.  D really is a great dancer.

I'm sure you can see where this is going.  I ended up dancing.  Very badly, but several of the guys with whom I danced were very good dancers and did not mind giving on-the-spot lessons.  Most of them were pretty nice about me having no idea what I was doing, and I had a lot of fun.  And my calves were aching a bit afterward.  Yay exercise!

I had been kind of thinking about maybe getting involved in the Ballroom Dancing club here, and now I think I just might.  Swing dancing was a lot of fun.  (Yeah, they're pretty different.  But I feel more drawn to ballroom for some reason.  And there's no reason I can't learn both, either.  Except time constraints.)  Or maybe the Swing dancing club is more for me.  We'll see; I'm still planning to wait until next semester so I don't have to go to a lesson only to have to study for finals afterward.

Well, D, you might have gotten me hooked.  You are a fantastic dancer.  As always, it was great to see you and hang out!  And thank you for letting me crash the dance party.  I had a blast!

3 comments:

  1. Oooohhhh, that's so great!!! My husband and I signed up for a 4 week dance session before our wedding. Almost 5 years later, we're still taking lessons and love it so much. It can be great for the blood sugar too. (I actually posted about it a couple of weeks ago.)

    Have fun and keep dancing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm glad you managed to get to see D. Dancing would be a fun hobby! I'm jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun! I learned to Swing dance in high school, and probably haven't done it since. It's good to hear you had a nice time. :)

    ReplyDelete