5.11.2006

I'm rather nervous…

I'll post stories of school musical events later. I don't feel like doing that now, nor do I have the time.

Here's why I have no time: Tomorrow, at this time, I will be preparing to board a plane headed for London. I'll miss six days and one English period of school (10 day trip, two weekends), but according to a bunch of current and former teachers and other people, this ten-day trip will teach me a lot of stuff I can't really learn any other way.

London isn't the only place I'm going. (My mom's coming too, by the way. She's the main reason we're going, but whatever.) After that, we'll go to Paris and Geneva. I am taking German in school. I know around four phrases of French, consisting of things like "Where's the bathroom?" "Do you speak English?" "Do you speak German?" and "Thank you." So I am trying to pack my suitcase and speed-learn essential French phrases and pronunciation at the same time. Not pretty. And I'm not even sure how to pronounce the French word for German in the "Do you speak German" sentence. I'm not even going to try to spell that. Too many little accenty things.

So if you can't tell, I'm nervous about the language barrier. According to the pronunciation guide in the little French phrasebook my mom got, most letters are pronounced differently than in English, and there are letters with little add-on tail or accenty things. Not to mention two-letter sounds and "nasal vowels." Maybe I should just not worry about it.

Although I do want to teach myself French eventually, while my young mind is still semi-easily capable of learning it, so maybe I should just wait to worry about it. Not now, maybe later.

And though I think everyone in America should speak with a British accent because they sound so pretty/cool, I don't know if I will be able to understand everything said in British English. Not to mention all the extra u's and e's in words (they seem extra to me, anyway!).

Anyway, I gotta pack. I have to keep a log of my trip for German class, and I'll probably bring my laptop, so I may as well blog it. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Hey... Got to your blog by chance... My boyfriend gas a blog too. Guess where I live??
    yeap, LONDON!
    I'm sure you'll be ok with the language stuff... Hope you enjoy your trip!

    By the way, I'm Debbie... just in case u wanna say hi...
    ddlmonteiro@googlemail.com

    bye!

    ReplyDelete