7.26.2007

I'm nervous.

I'm getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow. I've been stocking up on books, and I have my yet-unwatched DVDs of the five-hour A&E rendition of Pride and Prejudice. And a couple of Homestar Runner DVDs that Hol&J sent me for Christmas. Ready to veg out, pig out on jello, pudding, and mashed potatoes, and generally feel like yuck for a week. Ugh. At least I have entertainment. And summer homework. Some of it is interesting.

But I've been a bit more clumsy today than usual. I'm tripping over my tounge more often. I've heard the horror stories—how my mom had a couple of hers taken out in a not-so-clean office but survived (she didn't tell me about any infections or anything, so I think it was more creepy than infectious), how a few teens have woken up halfway through the procedure, negative reactions to the pain medication, etc. If my oral surgeon uses the wrong saline for my IV-thingy, I may have another horror story to add to the hall of pain: steadily climbing and later insanely high blood sugars. The doctor said he would use Ringers (I think I'm spelling that right, but since this is only the second time I've been knocked out, and the first was when I was three, I'm definitely guessing on these IV-liquid names. I am such a newbie to the horrors of the medical world.) for my IV if my blood sugar was 150ish or above on the morning of the surgery. He said if it was much lower, he would use D-5 (again, guessing on the name. It was D-something.). He only reached that decision after my mom argued with him; he wanted to use D-5 from the start. But my mom said "You do know the D stands for Dextrose, right? Her blood sugar is going to go really high." (not exact words. My memory's not that good.) Hence the above arrangement. No pressure on diabetes control, Ky. None. As long as it's around 150. Exactly would be great. Try to beat Mom's record of 152 on the morning of a surgery when she told the surgeon she'd come in at 150.

Heh. Pray for me. I think everything will be fine, but there are so many things that could go wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear you have a positive attitude! Things are gonna be fine. Trust in the Lord with all your heart.....



    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll do just fine. Like glee said, you have a great attitude about it. :) J and I will be praying that everything goes well and that you recover quickly.

    *I think I'm a day behind on this, but I'm still praying*


    I was worried when I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out (my freshman year of high school), but everything went well.

    I understand that IV's don't effect me in the same way that they can with you, but God will direct the surgeon's hands and thoughts.

    Your mom and/or dad will be there with you I'm sure, so they'll be able to get you to and from.


    From my experience, I remember getting nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and the doctor started to talk to me. He asked, "How are you doing?" I just laughed at him.

    Then the doctor told me the IV would feel like a bee sting. Funny thing is, I've never been stung by a bee. It wasn't bad at all. I remember hearing some music by Stevie Wonder in the background and then drifting off.

    I started to come to after surgery. The doctor was stitching me up, but all I could feel was a little pressure. No pain. He told me that everything was fine, and I went back to "sleep".

    Later I ended up in a "recovery room" where I sat/laid next to my mom while the doctor talked to us/her. Mostly her, because I kept falling asleep.

    She helped me onto the elevator and down to the car, most of which I don't remember at all. I just remember the gauze in my mouth because it was dry and steril tasting.

    Then we were at home (I don't remember much of the drive) and I stayed on the couch that pulled out into a bed. My mom gave me ice cream because it was cold, yogurt, and applesauce because they were soft foods.

    I do remember being a bit swollen, and slightly uncomfortable but the medications helped. I liked the Tylenol 3 (codeine), it helped a lot... but it also made me spacey.

    Just remember, if you feel extra discomfort or pain afterwards, do tell the doctor. Don't feel bad about it. It's their job to help and make things easier for you.

    ReplyDelete