11.14.2005

Rosin arm

Well, I auditioned. I think I got in. I didn't stop like I usually do while playing, I am almost certain that I did not sound shaky, and I was even able to correct a tiny intonation problem. We get results later sometime... I don't know when. But I know I did well.

By the way, if anyone out there reading this has to audition for something, eat a banana first. There's something in them that calms nerves somewhat. I am sure it helped me; when waiting out in the hallway, one can hear which exerpt of a song is being played, and when waiting outside the second audition room, I realized I had left the piece of music that has my fingerings and bowings and notes and stuff in the other audition room. They had the part taped to the stand, but it didn't have my fingerings and circles and scribbles. Praise the Lord, I had that piece memorized pretty well, so I could just look at their part and let muscle memory do the rest. A year ago, I would have panicked at that situation. I think the banana helped that, as well as experience. Although, if going to an audition, if someone tells you to relax, let me tell you now; it is almost impossible to relax in an audition or performance. Just remember how well you can play the part and basically boost your self-esteem. That, and remember that God is always with you... that was what helped me most.

Although, thanks to holding my violin under my arm the way I am supposed to, covering the bridge and strings with my elbow, I have streaks of violin bow rosin on the inside of my elbow: what I call Rosin Arm. (for you non-string players out there, it is sticky and rubbed on the bow hairs to allow the bow hairs to "grab" the strings on a violin for a cleaner, fuller sound) So I'm gonna go wash this rosin off of my arm... it's sticking my skin together. Yuck.

If you didn't understand that last paragraph, don't feel bad... it's an orchestra-specifically-violin-and-viola-thing. Heh.

Anyway, I gotta go...we're eating out at Chick Fil A or somewhere and I am being called by my parents. So, yeah. I'll post whether I got in when I get the info and feel like it.

1 comment:

  1. hey-
    i hope you make it!
    it is fun to read your esxperiences

    ReplyDelete