6.30.2006

MUZAK!!!

Well, I've been busy this week. With an orchestra camp.
I don't remember if I posted anything for when I did District orchestra, but this camp is like that, but for six days instead of two. We have nearly four hours of playing each day, not to mention classes in music appreciation, wellness while practicing (stretch and take breaks), and even jazz improv (which, on the schedule, was written as Jazz Improve, because they used one o' them Microsoft programs with autocorrect. I heard one guy talking about how one of his friends set a school computer's autocorrect so that it would replace the word "the" with "taco." I wonder how long before someone noticed something was wrong.) Anyway, my back is sore, but it's been fun.

After the camp on Monday, a master class was held. A master class, for those who don't know, is where someone really really good at a particular instrument (the "master") teaches either a group of people or one person in particular. This was one of the ones with one person at a time. The master lets the student play his or her songs, and then he makes suggestions on technique and style. Three people took turns with this master class. They were all amazing. I want to go to more of these things.

Anyway, last night was the final orchestra concert. Everything was great, even though our conductor accidentally knocked over a couple of music stands during the first song, but things got sorted out quickly. We didn't even have to stop; we just kept going. At the end of the last song, I realized why I play violin. It's fun. And this is a group that actually wants to play, instead of just playing because our mommies or daddies told us to.

I just got back from the chamber ensemble concert. It all went really well. I was a bit nervous (I am the first violin for my group, and a lot of my part is very exposed), but I just trusted God to bring us to the end of each movement at the same time. About halfway through the last movement, I got a big smile on my face. God helps when you need him most, if you trust Him. It is amazing how long it takes to learn these simple lessons, but when you learn them, it is life changing. Thank you, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment