10.12.2008

Dorm Cookin'

So.  I bought some 75% organic Macaroni and Cheese (individual serving packets) on Thursday, and I finally decided to try one.  After buying a little tupperware-ish bowl from the general store, I set to making the pasta part of the M&C.  I used the measuring cup my mom so graciously lent me to take to college to make the pasta.

But, the microwave, so enthusiastic to actually help make a meal, was extra hot.  After about a minute, I had to stop the thing because the water nearly boiled over (glad I was watching it!)(And so, yes, watched water can boil.).  I took it out, stirred the al crunchy pasta, and put it back in to try again.  About ten seconds later I had to stop it, as it was boiling over again.  But the pasta wasn't done yet.

So, the next five minutes or so were spent stopping the microwave, stirring the pasta, and starting it again, stopping just before the white foam reached the top of the measuring cup.  I hope I didn't drive my neighbors nuts.  But eventually, the pasta was al dente the way it was supposed to be, and I could stop babysitting the microwave and actually add the cheese part of Mac&Cheese.

That is probably the brightest yellow cheese sauce I have ever seen.  It was pretty good taste-wise, but it looked almost radioactively yellow.  I suspect the dorm room lights; the cheese powder looked perfectly normal to me.  Or maybe they went a little food coloring-happy.  (Maybe that was the 25% non-organic part.)

But all in all, a successful food venture.  Except for the one poor noodle that landed on the floor and ended up in the trash.  Poor little guy.

So tune in next time on Dorm Cookin' for more adventures with Laura and her roommate's microwave.  Fun for the whole hall!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Maybe if you waited a little longer between turning on the microwave once it boils. I guess you could pull it out and stir it to keep the noodles separate. Still, making M&C in a microwave in single serving packets sounds like it would be a little hard. And humorous! What's next????

    I'm glad to hear you are eating well! :-|

    ReplyDelete