9.03.2008

SWEeeeeee!

Yay! I just got back from my first Society of Women Engineers meeting. I tried to go to the American Society of Mechanical Engineers meeting, but it was too packed for the tiny classroom they had reserved, so probably one of the few other girls there and I decided to go to SWE. I'm glad I did. They had a lot of info about upcoming events, about Engineering Expo, and... it was just plain awesome. After standing around in a cloud of guys for the MechE meeting, it was refreshing to see so many girls. (There was one guy. Guys can join as well, but not many do.) And they had free pizza, so that was also great.

After the meeting, they had little stations you could go to to get questions answered about stuff. I asked some questions about Expo, and I'm glad I did. I found out what to wear (Business Casual or better, so I might wear a business suit... hmmm... thinking needed here), about the recruiters, how to keep in touch with recruiters (many are Hokie alum anyway and just keep coming back to recruit more Hokies), and other stuff.

Anyway, I'm going to go see if I can figure out how to get a national membership for SWE online. If you want to try the "Reactions" feature from Blogger in Draft, try it below. I think it's kinda cool, at least.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you went! You look awesome in your suit, so I'm voting on that. You can dress it down with a colored cami (like maroon or some other bright-ish color) and I think you'd look great!

    It is wonderful that you are making associations in the different groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear that you're already so involved in things.

    We didn't have as many groups to join at ACU, other than the social clubs. Sometimes part of me wishes I had pledged, but then I remember the choices weren't exactly what I wanted. I basically stayed involved with people in the art dept. and those I met through the Big Purple. Plus various friends who were in clubs. It all worked out.

    ReplyDelete