9.05.2008

Yay confusion!

I just went to Gobblerfest, and it was pretty intense. There were a gillion organizations, some student-led, some local, some bigger. There were two booths that interested me most, though.

The first one I ran into (not literally) was the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation booth. They were advertising the Roanoke Walk-A-Thon, so I got some information for that. And since for Hypatia we have to do six hours of community service, I might as well. Especially since I support the cause!

The next one I ran into was the Humane Society. I had heard in the Hypatia seminar that some Hypatians a year or two ago volunteered at the Humane Society or at something that was involved with it. I talked to the people in the booth about getting it started and got someone's email address to contact. Which I fully intend to do. I'm just confused about how to do all this. I hope I'm not stretching myself too thin, since I think I'm the only Hypatian who talked to them about it. There are other girls here who want to work with the HS, but I don't know 100% who they are. Please pray for me. I don't know if I'll end up leading this, or whether it will drop off into oblivion, or whether... I don't know. Ack. But I want to help out. I just hope I can make it more than just the thought that counts! I'm confused and admittedly not sure if I can not mess this up.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you found some interesting booths. I think there is a reason the number of hours for volunteering is six. You are going to be busy with school and you won't have a lot of time.

    If you are going to lead a group, I'd love to see you lead a group for the JDRF, since you have a real interest in it. The HS is great, but not quite as personal a quest. You might be able to knock out the six hours in a day or more, if they have a walk-a-thon. You've done those before, so you know what is needed and that will save you time. You could volunteer some hours at HS, but maybe not lead a group.

    Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you what to do, nor do I intend to. Find something you are passionate about, something you value and get involved. Granted, don't let it get in the way of school.

    If you can participate in both the HS and JDRF, that would be great and probably very rewarding. I say participate, because being the leader of one group would probably keep you from participating in another. Make sense?

    Two groups I wished I had gotten more involved with are Habitat for Humanity and Amnesty International. I did participate some, but not as much as I would have liked.

    Most of all, have fun but don't stress about it. If you can only be involved in one, maybe next year you can participate in another. Don't let anyone pressure you into trying to do too much.

    ReplyDelete