9.02.2008

Chem Lab......

Well, I have my first Chem lab tomorrow at 8:00 AM. I can't say I'm 100% looking forward to it, since during the chem lab I did during the summer program I always seemed to be making mistakes due to being nervous about making mistakes by improperly documenting the boiling of water or something else that would seem entirely trivial were it not done in a laboratory setting. Or something like that. But I'm probably just overreacting. Although I will have to boil water tomorrow... =)

Speaking of which, since we will be using Bunsen burners for several labs, and since there are many, many students who must use Bunsen burners every semester, why does the university make students bring matches or lighters to class? Would it not make sense to invest in some strikers? It feels a bit sketchy (or as native Blacksburgians say, as far as I can tell, sketch) to be carrying a lighter around in my backpack. (FYI, I am very anti-smoking!) But I guess it's understandable; mine cost barely more than a dollar. Still, the semi-implied association makes me squeamish and unjustifiably embarrassed. Although I'm not a lab instructor. Maybe there are regulations or something. If I didn't have homework to do this semester, I might research the reasoning. =) I'm not trying to subvert authority or anything; just curious and a bit weirded out.

Anyway, I should get to bed so I can actually be awake for said Chem lab. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment